Blue Ocean Society's Whale Sightings

Greetings! Thanks for visiting our blog. Our staff and interns will be posting their experiences here working on whale watch boats in NH and MA.

Sunday, June 21, 2009

My boy is back!!














I've been meaning to post a message for quite some time, so I apologize for the delay. We have had a nice start to our 2009 season, but the weather had been less than desirable. However, I'm happy to report, rain or shine, our passengers have been treated to some nice whale activity. We have sighted many Minke's on almost every trip. We have also had some great Fin whales and Humpbacks return to the Ledge over the last several weeks. Sedge is the Humpback with a mostly all black tail and it's been a few years since that whale has been sighted on the ledge...first seen in 1988! I'm also happy to report that Trough, a new whale from last season has returned as well. It's great to see some old friends returning to take advantage of all the food the Ledge has to offer. The highlight of my week, was seeing my favorite Humpback, Flask, this past Wednesday. I've been following this whale since I started 10 years ago and am always anxious until I see him each year. It's humbling to know that he made it through another long migration from his winter breeding grounds. I would like to thank the school groups that have joined us over the spring season and hope some of you will return with family now that our full time season has begun. The weather is keeping us inside throughout tomorrow...but hopefully we will be back out in the next couple of days. I hope to see you out there soon.




No comments: