Blue Ocean Society's Whale Sightings

Greetings! Thanks for visiting our blog. Our staff and interns will be posting their experiences here working on whale watch boats in NH and MA.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Two Words: SPERM WHALE!

When it comes to watching whales, I can recall experiences that I have had that I will remember for the rest of my life. I'm happy to say, that today will make that list! As we boarded the Granite State and left the dock, never in my wildest dreams did I ever expect to see what we saw today...a Sperm whale! Yes, I said Sperm Whale! It has been 15 years since the Granite State has seen one, and it was a first for the entire crew aboard today. It is extremely rare to have Sperm whales on or near Jeffrey's Ledge. They like areas of deep water near continental shelves and feed on giant squid. They are the largest toothed whale, about 50-60 feet, and weighing 30-40 tons.
With pilot whales being seen yesterday, another predator of squid, perhaps the perfect food source is present in larger amounts and maybe that is why the Sperm whale has made it's presence known. Sperm whales hold the world record for longest dive time and longest depth. Being able to hold your breath for over 2 hours and diving over a mile deep, is quite an achievement. Most average dive times for whales we see, including Fin whales and Humpback whales, last 5-10 minutes, so I tried my best to explain to all our passengers as to why we were going to "wait it out." We were 99.9% sure that a Sperm whale was in the area and I was thinking this whale could easily stay under the water for over 20 minutes and was nervous about relocating it. As the captain, crew, and I anxiously waited, an overwhelming feeling of excitement and nervousness came over me. Were we really waiting for a Sperm whale? After about 25 minutes the whale resurfaced and yes, it was a Sperm whale! We were all rewarded with an unforgettable experience with a magnificant, rare creature!



Not only were we fortunate enough to see one Sperm whale in the morning, we actually had two of them in the afternoon. There is no guarantee as to whether either of these whales will stay in the area, but all I know is that I will never forget the experience I had today. Being able to share rare and precious moments like today with passengers and crew alike, is truely a blessing.



A special thanks to my Granite State family! Sharing this experinece with you was priceless. Thank you Captain Pete for taking me to Jeffrey's Ledge everyday to see Nature's best!






No comments: