Blue Ocean Society's Whale Sightings

Greetings! Thanks for visiting our blog. Our staff and interns will be posting their experiences here working on whale watch boats in NH and MA.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A wonderful day on The Atlantic Queen





We headed out of Rye Harbor with our boat filled with passengers hoping to see whales today. As we were going by the Isles of Shoals I was talking to a mom with her young boy telling them what to look for as they scanned the horizon, he quickly said I saw something, a splash, both his mom and I were not sure if he had in fact seen something. To our surprise he had found a large pod of Atlantic White Sided Dolphin! In the pod at least 75-100 animals, they played, breached, showed us there immense speed and how gracefully they maneuver in the water. We also came across a second pod of dolphin, about 25-30 animals, they quickly disappeared as we approached. As we continued to explore in the distance was the distinct blow of a Northern Right whale, I continue to be amazed when ever I am able to spend time with this critically endangered whale! To be in there presence gives me the hope they will continue to thrive.

No comments: